Air introduced during yeast dump?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Air introduced during yeast dump?

Postby BrewinProf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:51 am

Hi everyone, I have a morebeer yeast harvester on my conical and during fermentation I empty it to remove the trub as well as to dump yeast that's settling out. However, since the harvester is a big air pocket, every time I dump it, it introduces air into the conical, and lately I've been wondering if that air could cause oxidation or off flavors. Do you think this is a problem? For those of you who use the harvester, how often do you dump your yeast?
BrewinProf
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Air introduced during yeast dump?

Postby DrWill » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:13 am

BrewinProf wrote:Hi everyone, I have a morebeer yeast harvester on my conical and during fermentation I empty it to remove the trub as well as to dump yeast that's settling out. However, since the harvester is a big air pocket, every time I dump it, it introduces air into the conical, and lately I've been wondering if that air could cause oxidation or off flavors. Do you think this is a problem? For those of you who use the harvester, how often do you dump your yeast?

Likely the small amount of air involved (300ml) and the short contact time means there's no noticeable impact.
DrWill
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Air introduced during yeast dump?

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 pm

I've not had a noticeable amount of oxidized beer after dumping the trub and first settling yeast in my conicals. If you are overly concerned, you can always reserve some of the boiled wort and fill the harvester with that before re-attaching it or, if possible, purging the air with CO2.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale