Mixed yeast/delayed start

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 am

Brewed up an English Old Ale the other day. I pitched Wyeat British Ale II but was concerned because the "smack pack" hadn't swelled very much. After 12 hours I still had no activity in the airlock so I pitched a White Labs yeast I happen to have for something else and now I have fermentation, but still seems a little slow. Anyone had similar?
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:09 am
Location: Dahlgren, Virginia

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Denny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 am

If you didn't make starters, that's pretty reasonable behavior. If you did, let us know.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 pm
Location: Eugene OR

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 am

I did not make starters. It was my first time using the Wyeast and I was trying it specifically because it said it didn't need a starter. The white labs I just pitched because I had it it handy and wasn't really thinking about it. I'm about 50/50 on wether I use a starter, usually because I forget about it, but have never had this happen before. The Krausen has started to form so I feel ok, just a little surprised to find a yeast not really work and there's two of them in there.
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:09 am
Location: Dahlgren, Virginia

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Denny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Mattheus_Rex wrote:I did not make starters. It was my first time using the Wyeast and I was trying it specifically because it said it didn't need a starter. The white labs I just pitched because I had it it handy and wasn't really thinking about it. I'm about 50/50 on wether I use a starter, usually because I forget about it, but have never had this happen before. The Krausen has started to form so I feel ok, just a little surprised to find a yeast not really work and there's two of them in there.


Both Wyeast and White will really benefit from a starter for any beer over 1.045, no matter what they say.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 pm
Location: Eugene OR

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby tookalisten » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 pm

I tried 2 of those smack packs in the past without starters and was disappointed in the fermentation lag time both times. I now only make a starter or go with US-05 dry yeast.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
User avatar
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: NC - yall

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby BrewinProf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 am

I haven't made starters in years -- instead I pitch an extra smack pack or two. I almost always have good activity in the fermenter the next morning and my beer comes out great. When you think about it, the cost of pitching extra smack packs isn't that much greater than the cost of the starter equipment and extra dme. Also, it's a hassle getting the starters ready several days ahead of time and I was always concerned about the possibility of contamination.
BrewinProf
Liter Mug (100 posts)
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Denny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 am

BrewinProf wrote:I haven't made starters in years -- instead I pitch an extra smack pack or two. I almost always have good activity in the fermenter the next morning and my beer comes out great. When you think about it, the cost of pitching extra smack packs isn't that much greater than the cost of the starter equipment and extra dme. Also, it's a hassle getting the starters ready several days ahead of time and I was always concerned about the possibility of contamination.


All the starter equipment you need is a gal. jug. Buy some apple juice and you get the jug free. DME is pretty cheap. I buy a 5 lb. bag for $15-20 and it lasts me a year. And an experiment we're currently running at Experimental Brewing is showing that 2 smack packs aren't much better than one.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 pm
Location: Eugene OR

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby BrewinProf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Denny wrote:All the starter equipment you need is a gal. jug. Buy some apple juice and you get the jug free. DME is pretty cheap. I buy a 5 lb. bag for $15-20 and it lasts me a year. And an experiment we're currently running at Experimental Brewing is showing that 2 smack packs aren't much better than one.


I agree that the cost of the supplies isn't that much but it was mostly the extra time and hassle that I decided wasn't worth it. I made yeast cultures for many years before I decided to just pitch extra packs and didn't notice a dropoff in quality. However I am very interested in your experiment. When you say that your experiment is showing that "2 packs aren't much better than one" what aspect are you referring to? Lag time? Some measure of beer quality?
BrewinProf
Liter Mug (100 posts)
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Mixed yeast/delayed start

Postby Denny » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

BrewinProf wrote:
Denny wrote:All the starter equipment you need is a gal. jug. Buy some apple juice and you get the jug free. DME is pretty cheap. I buy a 5 lb. bag for $15-20 and it lasts me a year. And an experiment we're currently running at Experimental Brewing is showing that 2 smack packs aren't much better than one.


I agree that the cost of the supplies isn't that much but it was mostly the extra time and hassle that I decided wasn't worth it. I made yeast cultures for many years before I decided to just pitch extra packs and didn't notice a dropoff in quality. However I am very interested in your experiment. When you say that your experiment is showing that "2 packs aren't much better than one" what aspect are you referring to? Lag time? Some measure of beer quality?


The experiment isn't concluded. so I'm just talking about some preliminary data. But at this point, the data is showing similar lag times and FGs.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:26 pm
Location: Eugene OR


Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests